Thursday, January 17, 2008

GL reference information

It seems to me I should be able to adjust the transaction information captured to the GL to customize it to our operations or to simply make it more meaningful. For example, when a part is picked to a job, I'd like to distinguish between a backflush and manual picking. I'd like to know what location it was picked from, the job it was picked to, and the quantity picked. For invoices generated, I'd like to know the sales order, the invoice number, perhaps the customer name or account number. For shipments, I'd like to track the sales order number, the item shipped, the quantity.

I don't expect DBA programmers to precisely pick the information that I find most relevant, but they overlook most of the useful information that could be captured. DBA does not have to think this all through. DBA should set up reasonable defaults and let users customize the information captured.

1 comment:

Xeyes said...

They already have set up what they consider reasonable. The problem is more that other information is inaccessible and cannot be added when/where we need it.